Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blog 13 Argument Essays




I analyzed Charles Murray essay “Should the Obama Generation Drop Out” where he addresses different thesis in his argument. For example, one of his thesis is “It’s what you can do that should count when you apply for a job, not where you learned to do it”.  Furthermore, in his essay he also includes a thesis of how students aren’t smart enough to do college work. This taught me how to be able to integrate more than one thesis in my essay. But I have to be very careful in my thesis because it has to refer to my argument essay.
            In his argument I also noticed that he address only one side of the matter. Murray doesn’t talk about the impact his preposition can have and how it can be a problematic issue. An example is when he ignores the fact that a Bachelors Degree is not worth much. From this I learned that I shouldn’t contradict myself because it weakens the essay. Causing the views of the essay to be problematic can make the argument less effective because it doesn’t give credibility to the person that is writing the essay. The essay should follow steps where the paragraphs follow a logical order and make sense. This will help my essay be understandable when someone reads it. Also addressing the other side of the matter shows that the writer is thinking about both sides and snot just focusing on his opinion.

In the essay Murray uses a serious tone to address white-collar people and college educated students. From this I learned that in my essays I should have a clear tone this would make my essay effective because the person reading the essay is going to know how I feel towards the issue. Addressing a certain audience shows that I know who I am writing too specifically. Knowing the audience you are addressing makes me change the style of writing. For example, if I am writing an essay referring to teenager I can feel more comfortable writing to them. This is because I can relate to them and be in their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment